From London Street Signs: A visual history of London’s street nameplates by Alistair Hall.

“Martello Street E8, formerly Tower Street N.E. The top sign dates from between 1938 (when the street was renamed) and 1965 (when the Metropolitan Borough of Hackney ceased to exist). The lower sign features the N.E. postal district which was officially merged into the E. district in 1866.”