This is an experimental event to try bringing the essence of a Letterheads meet online via Zoom. This technology will allow us to host live demonstrations, small panel jams, a quiz, and probably more that we haven’t figured out yet. We hope you’ll join in and have some fun with it as we go along.
On Saturday 6th June (and some of Sunday 7th)
From 9am London time (convert), until who knows when…
The plan is to kick off at 9am London time on Saturday 6th June, and then to run for the rest of the day, and into the night. This should mean that wherever you are in the world, there’ll be a time that’s convenient to log on and participate.
So far we have the following activities lined up, and we’ll be adding more to this page as volunteers step forward to contribute. Timings will be confirmed closer to the main event.
- Gilding demonstration* with Adrian Perez (El Deletrista)
- Calligraphic pad jams with Alice Mazzilli & Friends
- Panel jamming with the Alphabetics Anonymous
- Copperplate Script with a Brush, with Paul Antonio
- Business masterclass with the Association of Illustrators (AoI)
- Brushes & More with A.S. Handover
- Premiere of ‘When Better Letters Met Barbara Enright’
- The Brazilian Popular (Casual) Alphabet with Filipe Grimaldi
- Light Capsules & Vectorising Ghost Signs with Craig Winslow
- Showcard alphabets with Ged Palmer (The Luminor Sign Co.)
- Letters of Fileteado Porteño with Gustavo Ferrari (Ferrari Fileteados)
- Inspiration from Vintage Books with Jason Carne (Lettering Library)
- Lettering on ipad Demonstration with Joluvian
- Vintage Viennese sign books with Josef Samuel and Tom Koch (watch the film about Josef)
- Working with blends with Liane Barker (Brush & Pen Studio)
- Building a Lettering Network with Marie Pischel (Schriftstudio Marie Pischel)
- Blackboard illustrations with Michael Tilley (The Blackboard Artist)
- Pictorial Painting (‘Hilda on a Tire Swing’) with Mike Meyer
- Shadow Effects Step-by-Step** with Pieter Snijders (Bold Statements)
- Signs & Signwriting Quiz with Sam Roberts (Better Letters and Ghostsigns)
- Virtual Type Safari with with Sarah Hyndman (Type Tasting)
- Sign Painters screening
- Lettering and sign painting gems from Letterform Archive with Stephen Coles (Letterform Archive)
- The Type Travel Diaries with Tom Koch
*This session will be delivered in Spanish with English subtitles.
**For this session you are invited to draw along so pick a letter from this document and have a pencil, a ruler, eraser and some tracing paper or regular A4 paper to hand.
Panels & Themed Works
In addition we’ll be exhibiting panels and other works on Instagram and during the meet. If you’d like to participate please send the following to [email protected] in advance of the event. We will accept up to three submissions per person, which can be based on the ‘Lockdown’ theme for this Letterheads, but that’s not essential. (Themes can include lockdown/stay home, the Letterheads motto: IOAFS, the 45th anniversary of the Letterheads, the Zoom hosting of the event, Covid-19, the event dates, anything signwriting and lettering related, something funny etc etc.)
- Up to 10 photos per submission, including one that is as close to square on as possible (to enable Instagram upload, the piece itself can be any dimensions you like), with others optional to show details etc.
- Your Instagram account for us to tag/credit the image.
- Your location e.g. City, Country.
- Materials and production techniques used to create the piece.
- Dimensions of the piece.
- Weight of the piece. (Please consider using lightweight materials to keep shipping costs down.)
- Local vs ‘Rest of World’ shipping costs. Please try to find out as best as possible the likely shipping costs to a buyer in your own country, versus one that lives elsewhere in the world. This cost will be additional to any bid made, with final details to be worked out between the creator and the buyer.
- If you have a ‘reserve’ price that you want to share with buyers then please specify this.
Finally, as it is 45 years since the first meet in Denver Colorado, we’d love to do a retrospective of panels and memories from past events. Please send photos, videos, and any notes about them to [email protected].
Pass it On
Please share details of this event, including the link to this page, the Instagram and/or the registration page, using #LockdownLetterheads. Mike Meyer’s artwork can be downloaded (for Instagram, for web), but even better would be to use your own!
Questions can be directed to [email protected] and we look forward to welcoming you in June. IOAFS, Sam, Mike & Team Better Letters