This two-day workshop is led by Barbara Enright and introduces the tools and techniques used in brush lettering. It is suitable for everyone that has an interest in lettering and starts from the basics so complete beginners are welcome. More experienced letterers wanting to learn new styles and techniques for their commercial and personal work such as logos, signage and typographic art pieces will also gain a lot from the workshop.
What will you learn?
- You’ll learn the basic strokes needed to gain control of the brushes to create various letter widths as well as working with the paint consistency and flow.
- Learn about brush types: round, square and pointed; and which are suited to the different lettering styles such as Casual and Script.
- See inspiring demonstrations of Barbara’s master brush skills.
- Barbara will assist everyone to make sure they feel comfortable holding and manipulating the various brush sizes, and encourage you to develop your own individuality when lettering with a brush.
What will you take away?
- Your very own Brush Lettering Kit including a special lettering brush and practice guides, all in a personalised folder hand lettered by Barbara.
- All of your work from the weekend plus a final project demonstrating your skills.
- Lots of hands-on experience under one-on-one guidance from a master letterer to inspire your ongoing practice.
- A weekend of switching off from the computer, hearing Barbara’s fascinating lettering stories and insights, making new friends, and discussion about how to make a career out of lettering.
- FREE access to the learnbrushlettering.com online course, and the private Facebook group, so you can continue your practice at home after the workshop with 12 days of videos and 35 guidesheets.
- New skills to show off to your friends on Instagram.
Barbara Enright studied show card and ticket writing in 1967 and hasn’t put down her brushes since. That’s 47 years of lettering experience!
Barbara produced thousands of ticket cards for Myer Melbourne, Grace Bros. and other retail outlets in Sydney. She started her own showcard, ticket writing and screen printing studio producing retail and promotional signage. She’s also a seasoned teacher, having taught ticket writing and calligraphy classes both privately and through TAFE NSW.
Barbara’s enthusiasm for lettering is contagious! She is thrilled to hear that lettering is making a huge comeback in the design scene, and wants to pass on her years of experience to fellow lettering nerds and type aficionados.